I love using a slow cooker! It’s perfect for long days or days when I don’t want to heat up the apartment by using the oven.
This week we had slow cooker lasagna. I based the recipe off of a recipe I found in Prevention magazine but altered it slightly.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
1 container part skim ricotta cheese (15 oz)
1 Tbsp dried basil
4 links cooked chicken sausage, sliced into rounds (see note)
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 jars pasta sauce (the jars I use are about 24 oz each)
1 box oven ready lasagna noodles (no boil noodles)
1. Place a slow cooker liner inside the slow cooker insert. If you don’t want to use a liner, spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Combine ricotta, basil, sausage, egg whites, garlic and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
3. Spread 1/3 of a jar of pasta sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker. Lay one layer of noodles over the sauce. Break the noodles to fit.
4. Cover with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture.
5. Add another layer of noodles, pasta sauce and ricotta mixture. Repeat.
6. Add a final layer of noodles and top with pasta sauce.
7. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
8. Let cool slightly before serving.
Note: I like Aidells and Johnsonville chicken sausage. Today I used Johnsonville Chipotle and Jack. Very tasty!!
Sometimes I’ll prep everything the night before in the slow cooker insert and just keep the slow cooker insert in the fridge until I’m ready to start cooking.
Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe?