Happy Friday! I’m linking up again this week with Annemarie from The Fit Foodie Mama, Cassandra from Powered by Bling, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Montana from Pretty Lil Mudder to bring you healthy recipes. This week’s theme is “Heritage Appreciation”. Please be sure to check out their recipes and feel free to add yours as well.
Well, my heritage is not Hispanic but in honor of Heritage Appreciation, I wanted to share a heritage recipe that comes from Sylvia, a great friend of mine. She let me in on the secret of using the canned beans and I added the spices.
2 cans of pinto beans (no salt added is best)
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in nonstick pan
2. Once oil is hot, add entire contents of bean cans (don’t drain)
3. Cook beans on medium heat for about 10 minutes
4. Mash beans with a potato masher until about 2/3 of the beans are mashed (I like to have some whole beans in my mixture but if you like your refried beans smooth, mash all the beans)
5. As the mixture thickens, add cheese and spices
6. Remove from heat and serve hot
I love to serve these beans as part of a taco salad. Feel free to adjust the spices to fit your tastes. I like mine pretty mild so you may need more red pepper flakes, etc.
Also, we LOVE hearing from you. If you’d like to follow any members of our link-up, here are the details:
Annmarie: blog, facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, bloglovin’
Cassandra: blog, facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, bloglovin’
Emily: blog, twitter, instagram, pinterest, bloglovin’
Esther: blog, facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, bloglovin’
Farrah: blog, instagram, pinterest, twitter, bloglovin’
Montana: blog, facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, bloglovin’